SUMMER Camps – General Information
Petrie offers TWO SUMMER CAMP OPTIONS for children 9-15 years old (age as of Jan 1st, 2017). Regatta-Ready is our two-week introduction to canoe-kayak, and our Youth Racing Program runs for eight weeks. Paddlers will be divided into groups, and will rotate through practices for team boat canoe/kayak, single boat canoe/kayaks, war canoe, and dryland. Dryland includes games, running, circuit training, and environmental stewardship/education.
Sample Schedule for Day Program
|8:00am-9:00am||Supervised child care|
|9:00am-10:30am||Kayak single boats|
|10:30am-12:00pm||Canoe team boats|
|1:00pm-2:30pm||Dryland training: games, circuits, running, and ecological education/stewardship|
|4:00pm-5:00pm||Supervised child care|
What to bring to camp:
- Paddling equipment will be provided. Participants are welcome to bring their own lifejackets.
- 2 changes of clothing daily will be required; clothing should be comfortable, loose fitting and preferably made of quick-drying fabric.
- Paddlers get wet every day, and a good breeze can make even warm days feel chilly. Pack a hoodie for after practice!
- Flip-flops/sandals and running shoes are required.
- Sun screen, hat, water bottle, lunch and snacks.
Pre-requisites: Although no paddling experience is required, all paddlers must demonstrate minimum swim ability.
Prior to getting in boats participants must show that they can roll into the water, swim 50 metres (any stroke), and stay afloat (tread water) for 1 minute, as per the National Lifesaving Society Swim to Survive standard. Instructors will assess swimming ability on the 1st day of the program so please come ready to get in the water. Swim ability is assessed without a lifejacket or other flotation device.
If your child is nervous about passing the swim test, we encourage you to take him/her to your local pool to practice beforehand.